December 22, 2008

Festivities


Today is Monday prior to Christmas Day 2008. This time last year, we were packing to travel to Cabo! Aww. That's okay...those vacations are made extra special by taking them infrequently. Last week was a blur. We ate out a lot again (we have been) and geared up for our party Saturday. I think everything unfolded swimmingly - I made some good appetizers, including chicken wontons with a dipping sauce comprised of Mirin, rice wine vinegar, green onions and soy sauce, creamy mushroom filled Phyllo triangles, various dips for crackers, a crudite tray, a charcuterie tray, and delicious cookies that Craig and I made together Friday night (oatmeal, white chocolate chips, walnuts and Craisins). Saturday we were both busy all day prepping, which included Craig's pursuit of gourmet items that I needed, cooking (me), cleaning (Craig) and basically rearranging to accommodate space requirements for 12 people in our small space! We had initially scheduled the party for 6, but most people were leaning toward an 8 o'clock arrival. Amanda, Shavonne, Alison and Scott arrived before seven. Alison and Scott brought these delicious flank steak apps that they've made for us before, with arugula, a spicy horse radish sauce and a thin slice of flank steak on baguette slices. They were a hit and were demolished in no time! Shortly people began to arrive: Julie, Adam, Moyin, Moyin's friend Patrick, Kate and Erik. Craig had stocked a full bar in order to be able to fulfill any and all drink requests. We all just lingered around eating, drinking and being merry - what more could a Christmas party hope to offer?? I'm so relieved that we did this this year.*Sunday, we woke up late (sleeping in...so nice) and Craig started cleaning immediately. I was so proud of him for everything he contributed to the party, and he just kept going Sunday despite the waves of hungover nausea that were inevitable! Ha. I went for coffees and we curled up on the couch for "Christmas". I knew one of my gifts because he purchased it last minute, and the box was exactly the shape of a hand mixer (which he replaced because his mom's cookie dough recipe burned the motor out on my old one! If only I had a Kitchenaid...sigh) He believed to know much of what I got him, but he definitely did not predict the City Shuffle deck that our co-worker discovered. Super cool - a deck of 52 cards to 52 different bars/lounges in Manhattan, and each card is a $10 gift card to the respective bar provided you spend $30. Never a problem for us. :) He bought me The Darjeeling Limited and seasons 2 and 3 of How I Met Your Mother. So sweet! Great gifts, CB! Then, we showered and prepared to head toward our big gifts for each other, the 3G iPhones. Unfortunately, we do not qualify for the "phone upgrade" until Jan. 26th of next year, at which time we have the option of saving like $200 per phone! Needless to say, we can wait one month for that savings!*We ate lunch at the Bullpen and drank a few beers, and the rest of Sunday was spent sleeping/cleaning/relaxing. Now, it's only Monday, but we head out for Chicago on Wednesday. This morning was one of the most perilous commutes I've experienced yet in New York City. The storms these past few days have settled, leaving in their wake layers of menacing ice. Normally anywhere you go in the City, you can dodge ice patches, however, not in the neighborhood where we walk 10 minutes to get to the office. We traverse a parking lot, and it was completely layered with no respite. I am terrified of falling - I always have been. To boot (so to speak) my UGGS' tread has worn smooth, so what wants to happen when slick ice meets smooth boot tread?? Luckily, with much caution (to a fault and annoying Craig!) I made it to the safety of the office without wiping out, breaking my neck and all other bones below the neck. And immediately upon slinking into my desk chair for a choresome Monday at work, I made the executive decision to purchase new UGGS. And they are dreamy and I love them. Thank you, ice fairy, for reminding me how much I love boots (which is a newfound love since living here).
Merry Christmas, KB, from KB! Happy Holidays to all.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas!! Your cookies sound TO DIE for...you must send the recipe ASAP! And I love the new boots!! I wish it got cold enough here to justify Uggs. I guess I *could* get some, but I REFUSE to be one of THOSE women who wears Uggs in 60 degree weather with short sleeves. ;)

Miss you guys!
xoxo

12:39 PM  

<< Home