December 06, 2008

Helpless

cute "snow globe" snow man from Hallmark...
he's both a snow man and a tree at the same time!
"Jeero," uncovered from bins while Craig searched for our stockings today...

he is a sweet Ugly Doll from Holly...Richmond...


wine stops that say, "Get the Jolly Started" and "Let it Flow, Let it Flow, Let it Flow"...


So today was somewhat of a disaster. We ate lunch at Genesis then headed to Pier 1. Why do I bother myself with that store? It's so overrated with nothing to back itself up. Sure, the sign that hung from the ceiling that read "Christmas Tree Bling" was cute and clever, but the bling itself? Hideous. So, we decided to jump on the subway and travel to Home Depot at 59th Street. Surely they'd have round ornaments. What a generic thing to look for, right? Nope. Home Depot was fresh out (ie., never stocked such a thing) so we figured, why not Bed, Bath & Beyond? They'd make a killing on little round cheap ugly shiny colored balls. Right? Not at all. They carried none. To salvage the trip all the way to 59th (one express stop from our 86th Street Station...lazy, I know) we bought a few odds and ends...some appetizer plates, a cute triptych tray for whatever I'd like to dish up - olives, olive oil for bread, roasted red pepper spread for crackers, plus some bar soap, some contact solution. But at this point, we were at odds. We felt completely helpless as far as shopping for Christmas ornaments goes. Craig kept saying, "But I don't understand where we're supposed to buy these?" and I kept saying, "Craig, you have to understand, I have never done this before..." and of course, neither had he. We cabbed it from 61st & 1st back to our place (lazy, again) and decided to drop off our goods (oh, we also selected store-bought Christmas cards from Barnes & Noble, after 2 creative years of doing our own with photographs/Snapfish...but we're too tired right now for that), then Craig wondered if our Hallmark Store on 3rd might be an option. Light bulb! Of course! What better place to projectile vomit Christmas within its confines than Hallmark?? Jackpot. We found Christmas stuff. But the bare glossy colored ball ornaments themselves we found next door...at KINGS PHARMACY. Two boxes, one red, one silver, of shiny and matte balls = $4.99 each. Wow, we wasted much of the afternoon hunting balls!*Anyway, the snow globe above was found by me at Hallmark. How could I resist? He's so snowy and cute. Then earlier in the day, Craig found the Ugly Doll named Jeero that Holly bought for me before we left Richmond. I love the Ugly Dolls. Holly introduced them to me while we lived there, and yes, they are just so ugly that they're cute. And last weekend when Alex was visiting, I wondered if I could find Jeero in time to give to him, because that would be a neat story for later. But, now that Jeero is in my midst, I'm changing my mind. Alex - sorry! I'm sure another Ugly Doll will find its way to you someday. And I will tell you this story, about how when Craig found my Ugly Doll in NYC and I was reminded how sweet it was for Holly to give me Jeero as a going away gift when we left Richmond, how Jeero seemed to jive well and look comfortable on the futon in the guest room. Aww, Jeero. How could I part with you after so much history together??*Off to continue to organize/clean/maintain a home. I have no idea how to make time to relax. Other than to post...*

1 Comments:

Blogger Niki said...

I LOVE the Ugly Dolls. If I had come across them in St. Louis, I would have bought a couple. But now I just don't have the room. You can find them in FAO.

1:39 PM  

<< Home