November 28, 2008

Nights

I am up so late. Egads. But, no matter, because I have days to sleep. I can sleep and sleep and sleep, if I so choose. Well, a couple of days anyway.*The star of the show today was the dressing. Thank goodness, because like 3 hours of prep work went into it. Nice, but also yuck. Enter dirty mushrooms, whole, who needed to be rinsed and scrubbed before sliced. Celery is awesome to dice, but it's a chore (it's like delving into the Universe, cutting celery!) Onion...well, onion is your average everyday "if you love being in the kitchen, cutting me is always a thrill" kind of thing. Then there was dicing dried bread. Holiest of holies. It was good.*Once the dressing was on board, in the slow cooker, rolling, everything else sort of came naturally. Amanda and her boyfriend Mark arrived with a Sweet Potato Pie and with their natural goodness. They each drank a Brooklyn Pilsner and then headed out to a Thanksgiving party in the Heights. Nice. Paul, our co-worker and pal, arrived shortly thereafter, and we commenced to enjoy the totally brilliant Thursday Off. Craig carved the turkey (awkwardly), the gravy he made with the drippings was O.K., the beans were crisp, the potatoes super sucked (I'm not sure what I left out, or why they tasted like just average potatoes), but the dressing...ohhh, hmmm. It was spectacular. I now understand why that boxed stuff is totally stupid. Homemade dressing is like the kiss of sunshine on a Thanksgiving dinner. It's like spreading Heaven over a plate of niceness. Hmm, and now I'm being ridiculous, because late nights turn me into ridiculousness. But hey! Happy Thanksgiving!

0 Comments:

<< Home