October 12, 2008

Shoes

Shoe shopping was successful. Yesterday we headed down to the Union Square DSW - Discount Shoe Warehouse? Really? - and all I had in mind to find was a black pair of shoes, and a brown pair of shoes. That seems to cover all wardrobe bases for me. A while back, my favorite black Mudd Mary Jane black shoes broke. This is 100% my fault, as I am lazy when I put shoes on and the elastic snapped because I refused to do and undo the buckle putting them on/off. Regardless, there is a nearby shop that specializes in shoe repair/leather strap repair/etc. etc. that can remedy my issue. Moving on, I've been additionally lazy in dropping off the shoes for repair. So, what better immediate remedy, since we were going shoe shopping anyway, than to buy more black shoes. What's the problem with shoe designers today? Why can't they just give me something flat, something simple, something that speaks of my personality? Please? I selected the shoe shown above in desperation, as I couldn't find, in aisles and aisles and aisles of black shoes, the perfect "Kristi" shoe. And I will explain what I mean. Since I've turned into an adult human, I've prioritized my purchases like this: eating/drinking, travel, maybe a gadget here or there, an item of clothing or two at a time, necessities like socks and unmentionables, (how far down the list could I go?)...finally, shoes. I loathe buying shoes. Purchasing shoes doesn't make me feel like smiling at the cashier over the counter as I pass my debit card to her. I don't understand how a shoe can accessorize a personality, unless, of course, I manage (a rarity) to find the occasional "Kristi" shoe. That would be a shoe that I feel entirely suits my personality.
Behold, a "Kristi" shoe. Look at how basic! Look at how the nice brown and the squarish toe and the off-centered little bow come together in such quiet little girlness! That's the kind of shoe they need to make more of. That's the shoe I'd like to buy more often and that type of shoe would perhaps even yield an enjoyment of my shoe shopping experiences. This shoe is made by Rocket Dog. I'm in love with a majority of the Rocket Dog shoes I've seen. I just scoped out their website, and as they boast, "Rocket Dogs bark." Nice. My feet very seriously don't want to grow up. They just refuse. In fact, another pair of Rocket Dog shoes I have that are loud in color prompted a co-worker of mine to ask, "Are you 12?" Best question I could have been asked while wearing those shoes! Nice! So, here I am, totally satisfied in the shoe department until either the brown or black break down again. Thankfully.*We got home from seeing the Jets pummel the Bengals a little while ago. We went with Scott and Scott's friend Corey. Corey and I were chatting about work stuff and he vaguely mentioned working for Conde Nast. Now, typically when speaking to someone about work, if it's something about which I have no idea how to exchange conversation, I usually nod and smile, hoping the confused inquiry is written across my face. However, at this time we were standing on a ramp overlooking the new Jets/Giants Stadium Construction site and it hit me that Conde Nast is associated with a travel magazine. So I took the opportunity to inquire without needing to raise my brows or smile stupidly! I said, Conde Nast, isn't that a travel magazine? And Corey replied, Well, they do have a travel magazine, yes...Conde Nast is a publisher that owns a bunch of publications and I actually work for GQ. Swoon! GQ! Really! Given the recent obsession I've had with a certain serial killer, it came as no surprise that I would shout, HAVE YOU MET DEXTER? He was very kind in response and informed me that "Dexter" is always hanging out by the pool whenever Corey takes trips to L.A. for work. Okay, Corey, too much real life information on Michael C. Hall. Don't ruin Dexter's fictional character for me! Anyway, we had a blast - Corey is super nice, and it was discovered on the way back from Jersey on the bus that he and his girlfriend and another couple ALSO ate at the Fatty Crab before seeing Andrew Bird last week. Small world, small world! They went to the show the night after we did, though.*Speaking of Dexter...I'm in the 2-hour countdown window. I'm making pasta/asparagus/garlic bread and cannot ramble any longer. Kitchen must be cleaned, dinner prepared, kitchen again cleaned, and Dexter can begin! Here's to that.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

AHA! I have finally found the one thing that is as fragile to me as your love for Dex that could make or break our friendship...you don't LOVE shoe shopping? Who doesn't LOVE shoe shopping? I could spend hours, nay, DAYS shoe shopping. How could we have known each other for 3 years and I'm just NOW finding this out??? ;) Just teasing (sort of)...but I am very pleased with your shoe selections. The black ones are VERY cute, and I also really like the "Kristi" shoe. They are very much you...the you I love DESPITE your hatred for shoe shopping. ;)

xoxo

11:03 PM  

<< Home