August 10, 2008

Gardens


We've had a good weekend. Thank goodness. I needed it so badly - I can't even begin to explain. Friday night I made Penne Vodka and asparagus and we sipped Pom Acai Vodka cocktails with Sprite and lime and watched the Opening Ceremonies in Beijing - Olympics 2008. We were stunned at the varying and unique qualities of the performances. Gorgeous displays, very impressive. Saturday we ate bagels and watched more Olympics, lazed around, then decided, on a whim, to go to Radegast Hall in Williamsburg. First of all, how brilliant how close to us this bar is. We took the 4 to Union Square and transferred to the L for a few stops and before a half an hour had passed, we were walking down the peculiar and artsy and strange Bedford Ave in Williamsburg. Anyway, we weren't supposed to spend any money this weekend but we wound up having a really fun time here. What a place doesn't do it precise justice - it's a killer beer garden with heavy long benches as I'd imagine German beer gardens to have, a roof with wide openings in it to let in the gorgeous sunlight, and despite the fact that it's new (opened in 2007), the interior of the beer garden room itself is beat up to look hundreds of years old. Very cool. We met about 8 guys from St. Louis who are about 4 years younger than us (all of them went to Indiana!!! Craig was outnumbered greatly by Hoosier alum) - talked to them for a long time, then met 2 girls prior to feeling dizzily overserved and heading home. It was so much fun - and I really like the anonymity of meeting people in bars, having good times with them and then not worrying about maintaining long-term obligations to them as friendships. There's just a carefree youth to it. And in this City and in this day, it's too complicated to have too many relationships. I am content with the close friends I already have.*Today we woke up pretty early and decided to walk to the Park. We've been very good, more recently, about going to the Park. However, the weather didn't prove to be as sunny as we hoped, so we returned to our part of the neighborhood and ate burgers at Genesis. We haven't been the healthiest in terms of our diet recently, but that's a result of more things than I care to disclose. I'm coming back to earth and feeling better, gradually, and feeling more like getting back into my kitchen routine and into the Nikon again and into everything, in general. It took some time, is all.*I'm trying to debate when to purchase the couch. It could happen in two weeks, but maybe more comfortably could happen in early September. The kicker to this is that we will have to wait 8 weeks for it. That's a drag. But when it comes, oh, to own something I'm proud to own.*Football is coming. August is rolling along. I will never forget the hard lessons life taught me in these past two weeks. I am happy to be rising back to the surface again. I feel like there is someone watching over me, and I am eternally grateful to that spirit. Fragililty is dangerous. Not taking proper measures to ensure stability is hazardous to the health. I'm coming back strong - the smart, able and willing and kind individual I've always aimed to be. And I'm not letting that go. I just hope it works.*

0 Comments:

<< Home