August 20, 2009

Summers

I actually prefer the original photograph to the one I just posted. I manipulated this one in Aperture, changing saturation levels and quantities of colors and what not. I more or less just wanted to play a little. Anyway, despite the fact that we were in Myrtle Beach in the spring (quite some time back, not this past spring) this photo reminds me of the heat of summer. It's really hot right now. I could barely breathe exiting the train at 86th Street tonight, and the most excruciating thing about it is that above ground felt no better than under! I rushed home to throw open the apartment door and gulp in the cooler air inside from our window unit. Central Air? What's that again? Things are really pretty methodical right now, at least for me. Wake up, shower, grab an iced coffee, commute to the office, contemplate my day, experience my day, come home from work to eat with Craig, whether in or out, go to bed. Do it again. And again. And again. But, distractions such as planning for Europe help with that. As for my restaurant review guide, I'm still waiting for the webform to be set up (I really, really hope to hear something soon?!!) Now is such the perfect blissful stress-free time for me to concentrate on that, whereas within a month or two that could all change. Anyway. Last night Craig and I went on a date. We grabbed a cab to Houston Street to the Landmark Sunshine Theater to see It Might Get Loud, which is a rockumentary featuring Jimmy Page (Zeppelin), The Edge (U2) and Jack White (The White Stripes). We bought popcorn and I seasoned it with White Cheddar seasoning (they have Jalapeno, Ranch, Sour Cream and Onion and White Cheddar! Nice!) (and some weird marsh mellow sweet one, yuck!) and we settled into the very nice theater and my god, was this film amazing. It focuses on these 3 guitar virtuosos from 3 different generations, each who has basically defeated what it means to play guitar and gone further than so many others have dared to go. Of course we went because Craig has a major man crush on Jack White (for glaringly obvious reasons - Jack White is a certifiable badass) but we both do enjoy and admire Led Zeppelin and as for U2 - eh, not big fans, but after seeing the film, I totally get why The Edge was selected (and I also conclude and stand by that I think "Where the Streets Have No Name" might be one of the most amazing songs ever recorded). I really can't even begin to describe the texture this film contains. Craig and I both have played guitar in our respective lifetimes - I actually took lessons and contemplated furthering my abilities pretty seriously for a while - so maybe that played a hand in how much we appreciated it? I don't know, though...I think just obsessing over music as much as we do was enough to feel so compelled to and absorbed in this movie. These 3 musical giants each had the chance to teach the other 2 one of their songs and rock the songs out together on the film. Jack selected "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground" which was really quite perfect, and when they all started playing it together, I could almost reach out and feel his giddiness that one of his songs was being played by himself along with two major guitar brains! And Jack White actually composed a song on film, right there on the spot! Can't wait to get my hands on that. Oh! And Jack White is evidently most inspired by an old blues musician named Son House who has a song called "Grinning in Your Face" which is Jack's favorite song. Son House sings acappella and claps his hands (for the recorded version of the song played in the film on vinyl) - it's actually an amazing song, especially as accompanied by Jack's verbal reaction to it. Anyway, I don't want to say much more because in all honesty, I felt such a quiet, still and overwhelming respect for this film and its rich content. Following the movie, we walked to Joe Doe, which Craig has been wanting for weeks now. Joe Doe is owned and operated by this cute little couple, Jill and Joe. Jill was our server and Joe is the chef. They serve "aggressive American" which I think is such a fantastic description of their food. They order farm fresh ingredients from local farms weekly, ranging from chicken to duck to greens (I ate the greens and they were a perfect blend of crunch, bitter and vinegar) to chick peas (which they serve lightly battered as a complimentary starter). We shared pickled onion rings with garlic mayo dipping sauce, and he ordered the free range chicken while I ordered the flank steak. Craig had been hoping for the pork belly, and inquired as to why it was not listed on the menu. Jill informed us that all we have to do is email her our requests and Joe will place the order! As in, email her what we would like and come in later in the week and we can order it! What the...! And she was ever the attentive server (the place is eensy, seats like 20, but still!) For dessert, we shared this banana bread with vanilla ice cream, caramelized bananas and caramel sauce and just about fell down from the brilliance of the flavors. Such a great date for us! We grabbed a cab back to the neighborhood, then, and ducked into Biddy's for "like two beers". Unfortunately (or, fortunately? I mean, I had fun!) we ran into a Biddy's friend named Zelda, with whom last time we met her I got along famously! So, Craig wound up cashing it in early and I stayed out with Zelda and her friends. Until an embarrassingly late hour. Embarrassingly late. Like, I won't confess it here, even. What do I think I am, 22 not 32?? I made it into work regardless, and lasted just about the entire day without conking out. Tonight, we ate Nina's pizza and spinach salad and are going to watch Seven Pounds (Will Smith, I have no idea what it's even about??) Summer this summer is lazy. Droll. And sleepy. But I do own it, regardless. It's my summer! I am so looking forward to more Europe chat/plans. Tomorrow is Friday. We're laying low to save money and avoid the beginnings of the hurricane season creeping toward us and to plan stuff for Europe! Really nice, being on cruise control right now. Cheers to the last week of summer, beginning next week.

0 Comments:

<< Home