August 10, 2009

Commitments

Posting might be spotty this summer. There are a handful of reasons for that. Primarily, I'm focusing my energy on some other things, like hoping and praying that we stay here (if this new job goes through) because I've fallen madly in love with living here and doubt that I would survive the misery of any other city (I don't mean that negatively toward anyone else, but having been exposed to this, I think many people who have lived here and other places also would know what I mean!) and much of this City makes up who I am, now. I've left lots of places I've loved before, but leaving here would be the equivalent of leaving everywhere I've loved, all wrapped into one big intuitive place. Then there's planning for Europe, which Craig and I are embracing fully, with giant arms, COME ON, EUROPE, feed us adventure! Then there is also the wonderful, wonderful and exciting experience I embarked on beginning early last week: I'm a contracted book editor! Can I say it one more time? I'm a contracted book editor! I'm...again, as many times this year, rendered speechless! A book editor? I'm carrying around a title right now called "editor"??? Last Monday, I received an email from the organization for which I contributed bar reviews late last year/early this year (the book was published in the spring of this year). I pretty much believed I secured the position byway of enthusiasm when we met at the book launch guide, but wasn't fully sure until my now Managing Editor Kaelin emailed me the confirmation of such, followed by my receipt of a Start Up Packet and a Contract confirming my payment and guidelines. My first assignment is to provide the company with a list of 275 restaurants, places in all 5 boroughs, varying neighborhoods, a list of potential themed "sidebar" ideas and the proposed organization of the book. Once approved, I get paid my first fee and will launch into recruiting contributors! Ahh! Really? This is really, truthfully the best way I can pay homage to this City who has taught me not only diverse types of cuisine, but also that I love food vocabulary, relaxing over amazing plates of delicious food, becoming absorbed in the textures of such different environments, and, well, really just everything having to do with New York City. This is just perfect. Craig is even going to be one of my contributors! Nice! So maybe once the book is published we will throw ourselves our own book launch party back in the Midwest, and our friends and family will attend, and will raise their glasses to our New York accomplishments. Too good to be true! I think. Cheers! I love you, New York!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats, KB! How exciting to reach a goal! :)

12:36 PM  

<< Home