November 08, 2008

Fits

empty second "bedroom"...
a tight fit...
So. Today's the big day. Our first adult couch arrives and the end of a squeaky stupid futon era begins (did that make sense?)! Hurray! This week has been the slowest snail ever. Contributing to that are our weekend trips out of town, two in a row, but at last, the countdown to the couch in increments of hours can begin. This morning we ate bagels and caught up on Grey's Anatomy, the Office and another sitcom. Then we proceeded to attempt to engineer how to get the stupid futon into the spare room (shown above). The picture may or may not do the small size of that room justice. Behind the door we have cozily tucked a dresser, and under the window (not shown) is a small bookshelf. The futon would not fit without removing one end of it, which was no easy feat. In fact, there were a lot of grunts from us both. But now it's in - 81" of futon sandwiched in about 81" and a millimeter more of floor space! It isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I am so thrilled about this. This will hopefully mark the first of several more mature purchases to come. I'd like to upgrade my life, at last.*This must not happen irresponsibly, however. Tuesday night changed the face of America with its vote cast for the Democratic Elect Barack Obama. This is monumental and memorable enough that it almost doesn't even seem real, yet. I stayed awake until 2 a.m., watching coverage, crying, laughing, feeling all sorts of patriotic. But his job will be nothing short of impossible, particularly in this midst of a crumbling economy. Craig and I are starting to count our dollars spent, watching things more closely, ensuring that we keep a cushion in the event of troubling events to come. But at least we can breathe and sleep more easily knowing that McCain and Palin will not travel down a similar path which has led us to where we are today. Not only that, but Obama has landed his mark in history as the first African American President. How amazing is that? I ignore the commentaries that his mother was white. That is irrelevant. He has this genuine texture to him, this sincere desire to better the country where we boast freedom, progress and ideals. I can't wait until January when his position becomes official. I can't wait to see his family settle into the house where they belong and can inspire us to optimism. I will never forget this week, and I hope the years to come offer the change we all deserve.*Onto my weekend. Craig and I might play a little Wii while we wait. Or perhaps I will shower and he will perch on a stool to watch college football. We're nearing the beginning of our delivery window. So happy!!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

UGH!!! I HAVE to see the new place and visit my friend the futon in his/her new digs! :)

BTW, your hardwood floors are BEAUTIFUL. :)

Can't wait to see the couch!

xoxo

7:04 PM  

<< Home