October 30, 2009

Threes

tgif tgif! This weekend marks our last full weekend as Upper East Side residents. It's terrifying and amazing all at once, the idea of transition, change of environment, five flights of stairs!, and everything in between. Since June 2006 we have called the UES "home". I cannot count the number of times I've ordered goat cheese ravioli in pink sauce from Nina's, or picked up bagels from Bagel Express (sorry, other New Yorkers, but truly the best bagel in New York City!), or battled through the narrow aisles of Key Food, my bag and basket swinging against my sides as I wedge between other shoppers to reach an item from right where they're standing! Lots of mumbled apologies made for those times...anyway, it's early on a Friday afternoon, and I'm contemplating an early departure today. It's quiet. I've accomplished a lot of work already today. This is the first time I've felt tired in a few weeks, not regular tired, but that overly exhausted hazy sensation, and I blame Craig, who disrupted my morning by commuting with me to the Met Life Building for a quick meeting this morning! :) That, or I'm just past the point of ready for our next two gigantaur adventures - the move to the E. 20's, followed very quickly by Europe. Amsterdam, Brussels, Paris! I can't say those three destinations enough to express my excitement. They comprise this action-packed awe-inspiring triumvirate, to me. I've already begun to imagine our homemade travel photography coffee table book in my mind, and the enlarged prints of European canals, architecture and squares filled with people and birds. The Eiffel Tower. Oh, boy! The beer! The air! The travel companion! Oh boy oh boy! So, above posted is the new apartment layout. We've become so accustomed to having such small space to call home, and this will be no exception. Look at that bathtub - what the...?? It's like half-sized. And the limited closet space = we're in trouble! But, we've eyed a few furniture pieces, as we are losing Craig's childhood furniture to this move. It's not easy to part with such sturdy and nostalgic housewares, but we are also in the mood to outgrow a few things and pick adult pieces together. Obviously, with the expense of both the move and the trip, furniture purchasing is low on the list. But it's in conversations, at least.*I've been singing, to myself, that line from "Uncle John's Band"..."when life looks like easy street, there is danger at your door..." because I fear life feeling this simple and well-mapped. That does not fall in line with my normal existence. Don't get me wrong; I'm completely blessed in countless ways, for my health, for Craig, for a home, for a City such as New York to know so well, for family, friends, and heart. But things aren't this immaculate for me, not to the point of having consecutive amazing days filled with comfortable commuting, a quiet and in control work environment, more hours to myself in the evenings, and so much to which to look forward! I feel like Craig is going to turn to me at any moment and ask, "Who are you?" because I'm so happy, so very happy! Even as I age and my eyes feel strained and my skin is dry and I'm not working out at the big dumb gym, I'm happy! Happy with the status quo...and I hope I'm not jinxing myself in writing it.*Halloween weekend: quiet night in tonight, some wine, some packing, some dinner, some recorded television; tomorrow morning, bagels, packing, making vegetarian chili for Amanda's Zombie Prom party, then dressing in a wig and velvet floor-length dress and ugly face paint to accompany my Zombie Date Craig to the party! Sunday morning, brunch at Cavatappo Grill on 1st Ave followed by cheering on NYC marathon runners from the Bull Pen, Craig's favorite sports bar. Fun!*Last note: the size of that kitchen! I know, right? It's like a real kitchen for once!

0 Comments:

<< Home