March 27, 2009

Coughs

Times prove to be tough right now. I appreciate the idea that there are people who are this stressed at work all the time, not just at the big push at the end. I wish I could explain, but words wouldn't even do it justice, so instead I will just mention how grateful I was to get off the train at 86th Street today and slowly trudge home through our neighborhood. The temperatures were mild enough that I only required a light sweater. We decided that we'd meet at home then head to a new restaurant on 1st Avenue (to be discussed shortly). I think the time was roughly 6:30 or 7:00, and daylight filled my adventure home - thank you, spring! I stopped to stare up several times, to calm myself, to steady those frenetic brain synapses that seem to be not only overlapping with one another but also short circuiting as I try to recover parts of my self that have collapsed beneath other parts of my self. I found calm in the trees, in the branches yet to bloom as well as branches with small green gemstone blossoms on them (the latter not pictured). I very slowly navigated the sidewalk as if it were my last stroll in New York City, ever (a nightmare which becomes more real and may have to take place, after all, sometime sooner than I wish to admit). I admired details I've been remiss to admire. It felt good, and it was fleeting, because I don't think I could feel it by the memory alone. But I found it, that solace, some peace.*We went to a restaurant which we are certain used to be an Argentinian place, and which still offered cuisine of Argentina on the menu. Then we determined that it's the same place revamped. Nevertheless, the food was terrific. We ordered empanadas (the place now calls itself "Latino" cuisine, a nice catch-all), filled respectively with spiced beef, chicken and a caprese version with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and basil. Then we each ordered red meat - this place offers skirt steak, hanger steak, shell steak, T-bone steak, filet steak...and some chicken, but clearly we would each order steak! and I ordered the house salad and Craig ordered the rice and we split a sauteed spinach. The restaurant wafted of/with brilliant scents, and we were happy with our meals. Thankfully, because it cost us!*Now we're home. I'm finishing up my night. Craig just climbed into bed and I am very, very close behind him. Our jobs demand our full attention right now. I will get back to recognizing details of life when I have more time. I miss it, the other details. But at least there are always other things to which to turn. Always.
ps--I have a cough. It's not good. And I hope it's on its way out and not bronchitis or something worse. Please, please go away, cough.

0 Comments:

<< Home