January 19, 2009

Kings

snow on E. 92nd Street...below, b&w fire escape with snow facing E. 92nd Street...
snow outside our bedroom window...

It's MLKj Day, thus we took our sweet time going to the office this morning (I slept until almost 7!) and left early. Happy unexpected snow bathes the city in a sheet of white this evening, although I cannot be sure it will stick. Our joint venture partner honors today as a Holiday. Our office was a ghost town without them present, so my co-workers on our side of the team volleyed jokes over our cube walls and ate lunch in a conference room together. This marks a time in my life where I might just feel a little less frantic about the potential future changes and potentially a little more excited. I know a few posts ago I was freaking out. And this isn't to say I won't freak out again in a matter of days or weeks. However, Craig and I have one of two opportunities to look forward to, and while one of them seemed completely haywire (and still has plenty of pitfalls), the mere fact of future employment right now is something to not tamper with. Obama is inaugurated tomorrow, and America will collectively breathe a sigh of relief. But the inauguration of our first African American prez, our first Democrat in way too many years, and all of his ambition and concern for this nation won't immediately unmess what's gradually ripped apart so much of what we stand for. Therefore, in these hard times, anything potential in the realm of employment glows like the sun.*I feel so much less exhausted today, having slept a little longer than usual. Anything before 6 a.m. is just out of the question. I am sluggish all morning and it stretches into the afternoon, even if I'm asleep by 10 at night. In my next role, my commute will be shorter, regardless if it's here in New York or at another destination. The thing about what's perhaps to come, what I can see that's positive in it - blue skies more often. An endless span of ocean. Salt water scents drifting in through an open patio door. Gauzy curtains shifting over open windows. No more perilous icy treks across unsalted parking lots! A chance to have sun on my skin year round. Feeling like the beach will replace my concrete jungle. It's far, far too soon to predict anything. But, if things happen in ways out of my control, I must remain optimistic and realize these changes will be for a reason.*Off to gaze at snow while Craig naps on the couch, then to start an early (yay!) dinner.


0 Comments:

<< Home