September 23, 2007

Makeovers

I don't really know how to describe the experience of last night. In fact, posting pictures and gushing is probably all I can manage. However it won't do it justice. I already said how much I adore Claire Danes. In fact, I may as well profess my undying love for her right here, although that would remain largely untrue considering my real undying love goes only to the perfect blonde man who shares my apartment and offers me sultry eyes when no one else is looking. But still, come on, Claire Danes is my generation's Aubrey Hepburn. She is. Pygmalion was...breathe, KB, before you gush...nothing short of amazing. I laughed, and laughed, and kept laughing, and kept reeling the whole time over how clever the script was! George Bernard Shaw was born before 1900 and here is this perfectly concise and gorgeous script for someone of the likes of Claire Danes as Eliza Doolittle or Jefferson Mays as Henry Higgins to come along and just rock it on stage. Jefferson Mays, speaking of which, basically stole the show right from underneath Claire. No, they shared the stage. No, it's impossible to decide which character, Eliza or Henry, took complete control of the audience. But I will say one thing: the moment at which Henry accused Eliza of the possibility of retreating back to her Cockney accent and lifestyle, then she sees her father walk in all done up in fancy attire, and she shrieks like the old Cockney Eliza and Henry flails his arms about and says, "See! See!" or whatever, then dives, arms outstretched, into the window sill of his mother's drawing room, I thought my laughter wouldn't stop. I felt like I was convulsing with it. Henry Higgins was incredible - a total theater treat. He's a Tony Award winner for some other play - it's obvious. He is a natural on stage. Claire was very good, too. She's gorgeous and smart. But I think Jefferson/Henry Higgins had the whole show in his hands.*So now, I am procrastinating. I made an adventurous marinara sauce tonight to include with a Baked Ziti Casserole, which also turned out very well, and then I offered to finish the dishes, which is gross and unlikely of me. I wrote approximately 2 paragraphs in my new fall notebook earlier tonight, and now it is time to compose somewhat of a story, but I'm not sure that I can. In fact, I might send a note to Sharon and plead that I switch back to poetry. At least nice phrases are forgiving. Bad narratives are not. So here I go, off to build a world I've never seen in 10 pages or less. Scary.* PS--The most wonderfully wonderful thing about Claire is that she cares about intelligence a little. I so wish more actresses did. She's good about it. Here's to more Claire Danes's in the industry.

1 Comments:

Anonymous John Grabowski said...

> I adore Claire Danes. In fact, I
> may as well profess my undying love
> for her right here...

Get in line.

But also, I saw the same production you did, but afterwards *I* got to meet her. I gave her a box of chocolates too. And when she accepted them she did her little part from the show, "ve 'eard o' girls bein' drugged by the likes o' you." Hopefully that wasn't a comment on me personally. Anyway, she's TINY. I always knew she wasn't an amazon, but seriously, I could probably pick her up with one hand. And I agree about the intelligence part. Claire is both brains *and* beauty.

10:25 PM  

<< Home