June 18, 2007

Habits

There are two reasons I am posting the above photograph: one, because a spine-like label reads "WHOLE FROZEN SQUID" (and I'm unsure of why this label was in a cooler filled with fish caught by my boyfriend and his friends) and two, to post an exhibit of the fact that yes, he was fishing in a weird place in Florida and not only did he catch sharks, he informed me, but he also shot guns. Shot guns??? The Craig I know doesn't even know the first thing about where to locate a trigger. So I find this all quite odd. Nonetheless, he is back, and he's as restless as ever, tonight roaming from room to room in the apartment, throwing the occasional, or perhaps frequent remark about my dinner making abilities (tonight I would term them inabilities, but what have you.) I attempted some diet-friendly enchiladas (reference back several posts where enchiladas exploded in my kitchen; this was not those) and in all honesty, there isn't a trace of Mexicana in my blood because not only can I not warm a corn tortilla successfully enough to prevent it from cracking when I fill it with filling and wrap it enchilada-style, but I also can't even relatively interestingly season said filling so that the enchilada doesn't turn out bland and uninteresting, pardon the redundancy, as was the case tonight. But either way, Craig's backseat driver comments were enough to send me over the wall tonight. He wanted refried beans. Refried beans are never on my top 10 things KB loves to cook list, because they, much like rice, stick and burn, leave tacky residue in saucepans, and aren't even reward enough to make up for their messy making. But of course, if you are a backseat driver commenting from the couch, sure, refried beans are worth it, every step of the way. Of course, I made them for Craig.*Not Craig's fault, but dinner really sucked tonight. And what I've realized more than anything is that if food is going to be observed closely, if calories are going to be chalked off, if my nearby bagel store is void of my business right now for the sake of my weight, I'd better see some unbelievable substitute recipes made with all fat free everything and losing me one hundred pounds, otherwise it just isn't worth it. I walked by two pizzarias today that made me lose my mental cool. I didn't grab a slice but Oh I So Almost Did.*I'm writing for many reasons tonight. This morning, our little buddy Brady was born, Kara's first child with Ben. Brady has been a long time coming and we are so happy that he showed up today. Things are good: just under 7 pounds, 20", and born in the morning (I'm a morning baby and can vouch for us - he will be a happy morning person someday!) From what we know, Kara and baby are healthy! We can't wait to meet Brady this summer. Craig told me this morning, "Blonde hair, blue eyes, big hands, big feet." Perfect!*I'm also writing to brag about my book club experience yesterday, although there aren't really words to do it justice. I left the apartment thirty minutes too early, arrived in a cab at Port Authority Bus Terminal South, wandered inside, signs pointed to the gate I needed, and then I bought a Diet Coke and a Fine Cooking magazine. I meandered to the kiosk where I would buy my Weehawken bus ticket and there materialized Emilie, Fern, Laura and Brian! Laura said, "Hey, I know you..." and stepped forward and smiled. I've only met Laura and Brian and Fern once before. Emilie stepped in, of course, and we were all reunited, grabbed bus tickets, and headed to Jersey! Pam and her husband Aaron have a ridiculously gorgeous apartment that overlooks the Manhattan skyline. I wish I had pictures but since Craig had the camera, all I have are peculiar fish photos! But Pam's place is amazing. They have a balcony overlooking the City, and they're on a marina so sailboat masts floating past the window is a common occurrence! And Pam is an unbelievable hostess, too, so when we came in, she had already spread the usual book club suspects across the coffee table: olives marinated in oil and garlic, artichokes in a cup, roasted red peppers in a cup, a plate of fresh cut vegetables, a plate of gourmet cheeses, diet-friendly rye pretzel sticks, thin pretzel chips covered in Everything seasoning, and a small cup of likely diet-conscious veggie dip. I'm such a huge fan of Pam's since last book club I attended, when I learned that not only is her husband right up Craig's alley, but Pam and I are also akin with many things! So I've looked forward to seeing her and the place she calls home.*Anyway, I came home last night and Craig had already let himself in and was seated comfortably on the couch. Of course! I chattered on about book club in between his shark and gun stories. I'm so glad he's home.

0 Comments:

<< Home