May 24, 2007

Alterations

So I bragged about this table, One-Building-Over-From-Us-Katie's hand-me-down that we bought for $47 dollars since Craig didn't have the $50 in cash she was requesting for the sale of it, and I wanted to post an aerial shot of it. That distressed red that runs around the perimeter is intentional (nice work, Pier 1) and the lip is actually about an inch and a half deep. This means we need to cushion the thing with a pillow when we recline our feet on it...but come on, forty-seven dollars for a coffee table this hot?? We're satisfied.*Anyway, today I left work at 4. Our j/v partner's employees had to leave early for a meeting in Manhattan, and things just kind of fell apart for me in the office by 4. I worked really hard today (again, I do not talk about work here but I can admit to having been really focused today) and after discovering, through various websites, on my lunch hour, an author that made me swoon (she's 33 but she went to the Iowa Writer's Workshop, which is basically a license to publish anything at any given turn on a dime) the afternoon was kind of another mess in my head. You know, we only have so long in this life to do what we think is right, and while this entire time that I (do what I do for a living and do a decent job at it) continue to hang onto my day job, there are a lot of moments where I just outright regret not pursuing this writing thing when I had the chance. I danced around it in college ~ writing poems for Cathy (amazing prof I had back then) and sharing words with people who were definitely supportive, but maybe there is a disconnect somewhere in my brain. Maybe I am only meant to get almost there but not all the way. I don't know. We'll see this fall. It will hinge heavily on whether I get to slide into a spot with my instructor from last semester or whether I'm forced into another workshop with people of varying degrees of interest.*I guess regardless, the pursuit of a dream is only as serious as the person behind the wheel. And clearly, if my pursuit hasn't been fruitful to this day, I haven't been driving at a concentrated speed.*Still, a Holiday weekend does await me. I'm so glad. Here's to Holidays in New York where New Yorkers get to relax and enjoy their time in this blessed City.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The new table looks great!! How about a picture of the room showing the wall color AND the table!?!?! Your raging fans want to see it!

Also, I'm a firm believer that if you want something bad enough and are willing to work for it, you will get it. YOU will be a successful, published writer!!

11:12 AM  

<< Home