May 24, 2008

Rivals

Last weekend while we were out with the Nikon D40 we wandered into a place we like called The Porch in Alphabet City and were served our beers in these pint glasses since it was the middle of the Subway Series. Fun. So, it's been an interesting week. I was ill Monday and stayed home trying to mediate my internal body temperature. I watched too much junk tv and could barely move around to pour myself juice or eat toast, but I managed to do both somehow and that night we ordered Chinese - I needed the Egg Drop Soup to warm me - but by Tuesday, I was at least able enough to rise out of bed and drag to work. Wednesday Craig took me to a surprise show at Joe's Pub - Juliana Hatfield. He had been corresponding secretly with Jeff who possibly could swing tickets through our mutual friend (we know her through Lauren and Jeff) Shanta, who has a very important job booking acts, I believe, there at Joe's. Jeff has taken us to VIP seating shows before there at Joe's, so sure enough, Shanta hooked us up with comp tickets and a cute table for two. Unfortunately, Juliana wasn't the thrill on stage I would have hoped. In fact, she was quite hollow for a performer. But regardless, we were so appreciative for the special treatment and thanks to Shanta for that and to Jeff. Thursday night we got off the train at Vernon-Jackson in Long Island City and met up with Lauren and her friends to celebrate her 30th birthday...and her engagement to Jeff!!!!!!...surprise!!!...at a place called The Cave and Creek. Lauren is undergoing so many life changes right now - she's also just graduated with a Master's from NYU GO LAUREN GO!!!...and it's been such a blessing that we've been reunited here in the City and that we've gotten to know Jeff and other friends of Lauren's while living here. My longtime friend from college Eric was also there, with his beautiful wife Lynne and with Eric's two brothers, as well. Craig and I are having dinner with Eric and Lynne in a couple of weeks at their place in Astoria, because Craig and I are in the market to purchase a piece of Eric's art. I've never seen his studio but if it's anything remotely like his studio back at IU, I will be amazed, impressed and inspired to be in the presence of such Eric Visual Greatness. Anyway, so we had a few drinks and left early enough to be responsible. I just love knowing Lauren and I'm so happy that Jeff is in her life.*Yesterday the office closed early for the Memorial Day weekend, so I swung by my 59th and Lex shopping stops to find a couple of tank tops for the week. I'm still a little squeezed with money until the onset of June, so I can't go crazy spending. Craig couldn't leave early because of all that he wanted to get done, so when he got off the train at 86th he called me and we met at Taco Taco for dinner. I drank a fantastic watermelon margarita and he had a guava one. We ordered this outrageous taco concoction with chicken, pork, flank steak, chorizo and cactus and brought like 2/3rds of it home! This morning I'm up again with the sun - it's okay today, though, because I have a lot to accomplish in preparation for our trip this week. We leave tomorrow afternoon and arrive in Myrtle Beach around 3. I'm kicking myself right now for having never saved money for a laptop because I'd love to be able to download my photos through the week as we go, but no laptop is owned by me. I've put it on the purchase radar, but behind a real couch after we move. There will be researching to take place, and it's a sure thing that I will go Mac, but these things take time. Saving up takes time.*We're excited to spend the week with Craig's family. Yesterday his parents traveled to Indianapolis to meet up with Kara, Ben and Brady. Today they were all going to hit the road for South Carolina. They will pick us up at the Myrtle Beach Airport tomorrow and the week will be ours to soak up some sun, wander boardwalks, splash in the ocean, eat seafood and just overall relax from the everyday realities we endure. Happy Memorial Day.

0 Comments:

<< Home