August 30, 2005

Buildings


This morning was a 2 cups of coffee one. I rarely do that anymore, and in fact last night before making Craig and I breakfast for dinner (breakfast being a theme that may recur along the way) I pulled our box of green tea from the pantry to bring into work (we bought it one night to drink with stir fry and haven't had it since) and promptly forgot the tea on the counter this morning. Thus I resort to 2 cups of coffee. This is how it works, the first cup of coffee is nice and very "morning" in character, the second is nostalgia for the first cup and wanting it to still feel like first thing in the morning (I am not a morning person out of the gate but after an hour of yawning and getting there I love it) and the reason I can't have a third is because of those jitters, I get the jitters. I will never forget the time my friend MP from college offered me 2 Excedrin the morning after a night binging at the bars and we all went to breakfast at the greasiest and most storybook diner in Bloomington, IN called Ladyman's Cafe, and by the time the caffeine ran its course, I was all shakes and frayed nerves. I couldn't lift my water, my hand felt like it was not an extension of my arm. Regardless of the exploits the night before, I still think it was too much caffeine in those Excedrin.*In addition to making us egg and sausage burritos and potatoes for dinner last night I also linked this blog to two of my best friends from college, two talented women. I hope to figure out more links to more talented friends but for the time being, I'm still slow going.*I somewhat indicated unintentionally that Craig and I have been to NYC only twice together, which is certainly not the case at all. We started making trips to the City in May of 2002, the month after he was transferred to Hartford. Neither of us had ever been so our first trips and all trips since to NYC have been together. Well, he has taken buddies and has gone on business, as well, but all of my trips there have been with him. We have done amazing things there: Chicago on Broadway, Circle Line boat tours (twice, two years in a row on exactly the same day, how uncanny and indeliberate!), Proof on Broadway starring Anne Heche, ice skating in Central Park, Judy Chicago's "The Dinner Party" at the BMA (which Craig later dubbed "that big girl table"...ha ha), party at LC's in Brooklyn, Yankees games, a good friend's art hanging on the walls of a bar, the Rolling Stones at the Garden...likely I am leaving out the smaller things, but these are those memories that stand out. Plus, we took the train from New Haven one time, just to say we did it. And on our way back, our train ride back to his car after the weekend, we broke up. We've broken up before but that's the ugliest time that stands out: on the train leaving the City.*Since Craig builds things, he particularly fancied our long walks taking in the architecture, one of his favorites being the Flat Iron Building, of course. I like this shot of it because the sun was just pink enough to cast that glow.

0 Comments:

<< Home